tisdag 14 april 2009

Blogg assignment #1

The most important thing for a child when he or she grows up is, in my opinion, feeling loved by ones parents. I know it’s a cliché but if a child is allowed to grow up in a loving family with both parents a lot is won on just that. Not only because the child will have two role models but also because there will always be two people there for him, or her, sharing the ups and downs everybody goes through when growing up.

Raising a child takes a lot of time, and I think that to give a child the best possible start in life, and a fair chance to in the future become a contributing part of society, there just needs to be two grown ups around to manage that. There just isn’t enough time for one parent to ensure a child’s upbringing the way two parents can.

Not that it is impossible to raise a child on ones own, but with work and everything else that has to be sorted out every day it is hard to keep up. I know there are hundreds of “sunshine stories” out there where single mothers, or fathers, have done everything to make sure their children gets the best upbringing available. Sadly though, there are thousands of stories with not so much sunshine where single parents have not been giving their children enough love, support and time.

I’m not saying you have to be a bad parent just because you’re a single parent. But it is a lot easier to be a good parent, feel good about yourself and be able to enjoy some time with friends if all the trouble of raising a child is split two ways.

Of course there are thousands of exceptions to this. A single, working parent is obviously a lot better than two drinking or abusive ones. I hope you as a reader can se the obvious in that and don’t comment on just that. And for the record, because I’m sure you’re wondering. Yes I do believe that same sex parents are fully and equally capable to give children a great upbringing. Raising a child is in your heart, or in your head, it damn sure isn’t in your trousers!

The greatest responsibility for us adults is to ensure that every child gets the best upbringing available for them. Preferably with the child’s parents in a safe surrounding where he or she is given the time and opportunity to be a child with everything that comes with it. Unfortunately enough, this is impossible. But it is our responsibility as adults to work with this as the only goal in our minds; because frankly, anything else is just not good enough.

2 kommentarer:

  1. I must say that your text is really good, you are discussing an important issue and I think that you are right in what you are writing. It isn´t easy to find anything to complain on or give some constructive critism about. Although I could tell you that it maybe would be better if you had another heading/title than just blog assignment 1 etc, next time. I believe that you have good topic sentences with clear purposes, except for the second paragraph were your topic sentence maybe is a little bit to long. You could have made it into two shorter ones.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hello Mattias!

    Well written I must say but I was a bit worried at the beginning when you were talking about some kind of "kärnfamilj". But when I continued reading it all got clear an I agree with what you are saying. But I think that we in Sweden mostly just sees a family as mum, dad and kids but a family is a more wide conception at least for me. You talked about role models and I agree that it is very important to have role models. But I also think that friends, grandparents and other people around a child and its parents also can function as both role models and as extra parents. The more people that supports the better for the child. Just a reflection from me.

    Have a nice day!

    SvaraRadera